[clue-tech] LXDE -- New Desktop for Old/Slow Machines

Angelo Bertolli angelo at freeshell.org
Tue Jul 8 10:40:38 MDT 2008

Michael J. Hammel wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-07-08 at 10:51 -0400, Angelo Bertolli wrote:
>
>> Yes, that's been my only complaint with XFCE in the past (but has gotten
>> a lot better):  too much dependence on gnome software.  As XFCE has
>> added their own lightweight versions of certain things, it's gotten
>> better.  Who wants all those extra gnome libs?
>>

> I wasn't aware that XFce had any GNOME dependencies.  It can work with
> GNOME libs, but it isn't dependent on them, AFAIK.

Not strictly speaking, but in the past certain applications that have no
equivalents (or reasonable equivalents) in XFCE needed more gnome
dependencies than I was comfortable with.  I don't really remember what
I had noticed before.

On another XFCE note, on my current system xfdesktop seems to use a lot
of memory over time.  There seems to be an upper limit to how much
memory it grabs, but never frees back up (instead ends up going to swap
as it's apparently not being used).  The only way I seem to be able to
free up this memory and "start over" is by logging out and logging back in.

Angelo