[clue-tech] LXDE -- New Desktop for Old/Slow Machines

Michael Fierro miguelito at biffster.org
Tue Jul 8 10:58:56 MDT 2008

On Tue July 8 2008 10:40:38 am Angelo Bertolli wrote:

> On another XFCE note, on my current system xfdesktop seems to use a lot
> of memory over time.  There seems to be an upper limit to how much
> memory it grabs, but never frees back up (instead ends up going to swap
> as it's apparently not being used).  The only way I seem to be able to
> free up this memory and "start over" is by logging out and logging back in.

Yeah, I've seen that behavior, too.  It might've been there in the 3.x versions, but I only noticed it when XFCE 4.0 was released. It's been there ever since. I reported it as a bug, and it has gotten a little bit better with every revision. But xfdesktop can still end up taking a huge (more than 15%) chunk of system memory. Which isn't good, not good at all.

Still, I love XFCE, so I will stick with it.

Michael Fierro                                  miguelito at biffster.org
Y! Messenger: miguelito_fierro                           AIM: mfierro1
http://biffster.org                           http://weightjournal.com
--
"It's the most extraordinary thing. I can't seem to find my sonic
screwdriver anywhere."