[clue-tech] LXDE -- New Desktop for Old/Slow Machines

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Tue Jul 8 19:18:18 MDT 2008

Jed S. Baer wrote:
> Just caught a link to an article about LXDE, the Lightweight X11 Desktop
> Environment. Check out the System Requirements here:
> http://lxde.org/about.html

Heh, "rund well even on older machines produced in 1999".

So I'm thinking that the only thing I need X for is a web browser.  So
why do they bother with all this desktop stuff?  If they made a
lightweight browser they'd have it made.

Oh, OK.  I guess I need something to play video.  I'd be OK with a text
mode PDF reader but I guess that might be better in X too.