[clue-tech] LXDE -- New Desktop for Old/Slow Machines

Michael Fierro miguelito at biffster.org
Wed Jul 9 07:44:48 MDT 2008

On Tue July 8 2008 7:18:18 pm David L. Anselmi wrote:
> So I'm thinking that the only thing I need X for is a web browser.  So
> why do they bother with all this desktop stuff?  If they made a
> lightweight browser they'd have it made.

There is at least one good lightweight browser: dillo. (apt-get install dillo). No javascript, no java, no flash, no plugins at all, really. but it aims for standard compliance, and has basic css support. And it is super-fast.

> Oh, OK.  I guess I need something to play video.  I'd be OK with a text
> mode PDF reader but I guess that might be better in X too.

There's always pdftotext, which works as a quick and dirty way to read the text in a PDF. You're out of luck with graphics, of course. Video definitely needs X.

Michael Fierro                                  miguelito at biffster.org
Y! Messenger: miguelito_fierro                           AIM: mfierro1
http://biffster.org                           http://weightjournal.com
--
Michael: Well, that's ridiculous. He's got you. He's got our mother. You'd think that would turn him off the entire concept.