[clue-tech] LXDE -- New Desktop for Old/Slow Machines

Michael J. Hammel mjhammel at graphics-muse.org
Wed Jul 9 09:19:14 MDT 2008

On Wed, 2008-07-09 at 07:44 -0600, Michael Fierro wrote:
> There's always pdftotext, which works as a quick and dirty way to read the text in a PDF. You're out of luck with graphics, of course. Video definitely needs X.

Not true (though I haven't tried this in some time).  Both GTK+ and Qt
support frame buffer drivers.  You can run apps on the frame buffer if
the widget library has been built to support the frame buffer drivers.
That's how various types of hand helds work with GTK+ and Qt (no X).
Mplayer also works with frame buffer drivers.  Gentoo has a howto on
this (just found it with a google search - I don't use gentoo):
http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_MPlayer_on_Framebuffer

--
Michael J. Hammel                                    Principal Software Engineer
mjhammel at graphics-muse.org                           http://graphics-muse.org