[clue-tech] Random wiki thought.

Michael J. Hammel mjhammel at graphics-muse.org
Wed Jul 9 11:39:09 MDT 2008

On Wed, 2008-07-09 at 11:26 -0600, Bruce Ediger wrote:
> On Tue, 8 Jul 2008, David L. Anselmi wrote:
> > None of the elegance of Perl.
>
> Cough cough.

You said it.  The right tool for the job?  Perl for the Web?  Maybe not.

> Hey, at least you get to do PHP at work, rather than dopey, clunky ol' Java.

Amen.  Worse yet, java under ridiculuously implemented web application
servers.  "Let's implement an operating system on top of an operating
system and, better yet, let's not let anyone who uses our operating
system access the underlying OS even though the underlying OS has 10
times as much testing and reliability available to it than ours ever
will."

I hate Enterprise work.  *sigh*  Long live embedded systems!

> And you use a wiki, rather than doing "Word" documents that nobody reads
> ever again, and just gather mold.

I set up PmWiki at work and it's become the corporate focal point for
all development work.  Can't quite get the BD guys to use it since
they're external contacts still live in the MS world only (though we
expose the wiki to the paying customer via ssh access, so technically
they can follow our work if they really wanted to - but nobody does).

I use PmWiki at home too, for personal stuff.  I access it via ssh and
an internal squid proxy server.  Neither are directly exposed to the
net.

Wiki's rock.  Even if they are written in PHP.  :-)
--
Michael J. Hammel                                    Principal Software Engineer
mjhammel at graphics-muse.org                           http://graphics-muse.org