[clue-tech] Random wiki thought.

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Wed Jul 9 19:03:42 MDT 2008

Michael J. Hammel wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-07-09 at 11:26 -0600, Bruce Ediger wrote:
>> On Tue, 8 Jul 2008, David L. Anselmi wrote:
>>> None of the elegance of Perl.
>> Cough cough.
>
> You said it.  The right tool for the job?  Perl for the Web?  Maybe not.

I didn't say Perl for the web, I said it was elegant (and that's perhaps
more aesthetic than technical but at least Larry Wall knows something
about language).

The PHP I'm doing is command line PHP.  It gets some data from a
database and writes an output file containing the data and some other
stuff.  No HTML involved.

We don't actually have standard support for PHP (or Perl DBI) on our
machines.  We happen to be lucky that the one running the script has
PHP.  One day that will change unexpectedly.  I hate Enterprise admins
(at least in the defense world).

>> Hey, at least you get to do PHP at work, rather than dopey, clunky ol' Java.

I'll get a chance to do Java.  We have Cruise Control and one day I'll
have to write a plugin for it.  But that's not quite a web application
server.

>> And you use a wiki, rather than doing "Word" documents that nobody reads
>> ever again, and just gather mold.
>
> I set up PmWiki at work and it's become the corporate focal point for
> all development work.

Amen to that.  I've got most of my group using the Wiki.  We seem to
insist that design decisions be done in Power Point though.

Anyone know a web based (and Free) alternative to Rational Rose?