[clue-tech] Installfest wrap up.

Collins Richey crichey at gmail.com
Thu Jul 24 20:25:26 MDT 2008

More feedback.

Rex came with an older laptop, and we discovered (after lengthy
attempts including a newly burned iso) that the Ubuntu installer isn't
all that clever at detecting the right mode for video cards. The
laptop has an nvidia card, and the installer will only run with the
option (??? forgotten the name) to use a simplified video mode.

This led to the next discovery: the windows disk was so badly
fragmented that the installer could not shrink the disk to make room
for Linux.

Rex went home and continued defragging, and last I heard he is making
great progress on his own.

As soon as he gets Linux running, he will discover whether or not his
winmodem will work. He's been looking for a cheap external modem.
Sigh, how many years has it been since any of us have needed to setup
a modem.

We also fixed a problem for ??? with mounting a vfat drive to be
shared by all users but writable only by one. Had to use the uid=
option for mount. In the process, we discovered that the underling
partition had readonly permissions for even for the owner, so that had
to be fixed.

Sadly our once favorite Mexican restaurant is no more, so we settled
on Qdoba for the after feast. If you can't have Mexican food, try
Qdoba <grin>.

--
Collins Richey