[clue-tech] Usenet Redux

Sean LeBlanc seanleblanc at comcast.net
Sun Jul 27 11:25:17 MDT 2008

I'm thinking of getting back to reading a bit of Usenet again. Problem is,
I'm not sure what is the "best" way to do that anymore.

In the mid-90s, I used to use Free Agent. Then I used Emacs Gnus for a
while. Right now, I'm checking out Thunderbird but it doesn't seem to be so
optimal (too much mousing, unless I'm missing a key combo for scrolling that
bottom window). It also doesn't seem that using Thunderbird over ssh would
be very speedy compared to something like Gnus.

Problem is, I never really found a good solution for spam, and as far as I
know, none of these clients seem to offer good solutions by themselves.

By googling about, it seems that some solutions can be added to things like
leafnode? Or into INN, but I'm not sure how well it works to set up INN for
just personal use...I remember taking a look at INN about 5-6 years ago, and
it seemed pretty complicated.

Anyone still reading Usenet, and what do you do about spam?

Sean LeBlanc:seanleblanc at comcast.net
http://sean-leblanc.blogspot.com/
Are you in earnest? Seize this very minute! Boldness has genius, power, and
magic in it. Only engage, and then the mind grows heated. Begin, and then the
work will be completed.
-John Anster