[clue-tech] Installfest wrap up.

Collins Richey crichey at gmail.com
Sat Jul 26 20:43:03 MDT 2008

On Sat, Jul 26, 2008 at 3:00 PM, David L. Anselmi <anselmi at anselmi.us> wrote:
> Collins Richey wrote:
>>
>> As soon as he gets Linux running, he will discover whether or not his
>> winmodem will work. He's been looking for a cheap external modem.
>> Sigh, how many years has it been since any of us have needed to setup
>> a modem.
>
> I actually did that recently.  I have a few real (internal) modems in use
> but I don't know how hard it is to get them anymore.  But a friend has a
> Connexant that I set up for him.  There's a proprietary Linux driver that
> Dell provides for him and that worked.  But I haven't verified what speed he
> gets with it.

I'll pass that on to Rex when he calls next. Meanwhile, he has
successfully shrunk the windows disk, installed Ubuntu, and moved on
to advanced questions liek 'what is apt-get'. One of those rare users
who doesn't give up when it doesn't work the first time. Rex is also
looking to move into the 20/21st century with a DSL or other high
speed connection.

--
Collins Richey