[clue-tech] Linux & NTFS

Wed Jun 4 11:55:46 MDT 2008

I use data discs formatted with NTFS and FAT pretty regularly.  Recently NTFS has been
almost as easy-to-use and reliable as FAT.  Here is my list of "gotchas".

 - Neither NTFS nor FAT supports unix permissions on files and directories.  A
permission can be set per filesystem in /etc/fstab.
 - FAT doesn't support large files.  "Large" is usually 4GB, but sometimes is as little
as 2GB.
 - NTFS will not mount gracefully if it wasn't unmounted cleanly, and I still don't
trust fsck.ntfs as much as I trust CHKDSK.

On Wed, 4 Jun 2008 10:41:45 -0600 (MDT), Mike Staver wrote