Debian rocks [was Re: [clue-tech] HP 2133 netbook]

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Sat Jun 14 17:49:37 MDT 2008

dennisjperkins at comcast.net wrote:
> You quit Lockheed?  Who do you work for now?

No, still Lockheed, but a different "Lockheed company" and a different
program.  It's a big improvement.

> RHEL doesn't use yum?  Why not?  Does this have something to do with
> being targeted for businesses?

yum was created by Yellowdog.  RHEL 4 uses up2date, their version of WUS
from MS.  I don't follow RH so I don't know how they work their updater
(yum in RHEL 5) with their subscriptions for updates.

So besides yum, what other tools are there for RPM (and preferably come
with RHEL 4) that do dependency resolution?  That's the thing we need, I
think.  Doing that by hand is ridiculous.  And RHEL should have known
better in the first place.

I think the issue is that RH wanted everyone to use up2date.  But we're
in an environment where that isn't an option so we suffer from the "do
it our way" mentality.