[clue-tech] mount second hard drive

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Mon Jun 23 18:50:09 MDT 2008

Bob Meetin wrote:
[...]
> [# /sbin/fdisk -l /dev/hdb
 >
> Disk /dev/hdb: 20.4 GB, 20490559488 bytes
> 255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 2491 cylinders
> Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
>
>   Device Boot    Start       End    Blocks   Id  System
> /dev/hdb1   *         1        13    104391   83  Linux
>
> /dev/hdb2            14      2491  19904535   8e  Linux LVM

So it's likely that /dev/hdb1 is a boot partition and doesn't have
anything you care about.  Since hdb2 is for the logical volume manager,
do this (as root, so do su - first):

# vgscan
# vgchange -a y
# ls /dev/mapper

and send us the output of all that.  The data you care about will be on
the devices in /dev/mapper.  I don't know how they will be set up but
you can mount what's there (except for control) and poke around.

You may run into issues regarding the kernel module or LVM version you
have but those will be apparent in the output you send us.