[clue-tech] mount second hard drive

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Tue Jun 24 21:40:56 MDT 2008

Bob Meetin wrote:
> --> dentistry only involves pulling teeth, this is more like pulling
> magic out of a hat, so why do dentists make the big bucks? <--

You can claim not to be a techy type but you're trying to do something
technical.  So if you don't want to be patient and learn, buy David
Willson (ok, I'll spell it right this time) a beer.  Or come to
installfest on the 19th.

David, I wouldn't bother with the RH 9 system.

> # cd /bin/sbin
> # ./vgscan --mknodes
> ./vgscan: unrecognized option `--mknodes'
> Logical Volume Manager 1.0.3

You have the old version of LVM and I'll bet your drive uses the new
version.  Getting LVM2 to run on RH9 is probably much more painful than
it's worth.  So you have three choices.

Boot off Knoppix or another live CD that has LVM 2.  Then the commands
will probably work.

Install something modern over your RH9 disk.

You're down this road because your drive had boot problems.  They might
not be that hard to fix if we knew what they were.

There's some chance that you don't have the right module loaded and
that's causing the problem, but I doubt it.