[clue-tech] beginner to KDE

Sat Jun 28 17:16:53 MDT 2008

On Sat, 28 Jun 2008 16:05:29 -0600, Jed S. Baer wrote
> On Sat, 28 Jun 2008 14:26:44 -0600
> David L. Willson wrote:
>
> > Oops.  He did.  Mandriva 2008.
>
> D'oh! Well, one question down, anyway.

I would try using urpmi or rpmdrake.  I don't know the exact clicks or clacks to do it,
because I don't have a Mandrake VM, but I don't think it'll be that hard.

I do have the mighty Googler, and it tells me that Mandriva has a yum/apt equivalent.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mandriva_Linux

"Package manager

Mandriva Linux uses a package manager called urpmi, which functions as a wrapper to the
RPM package management system. It is similar to apt-get in that it allows seamless
installation of a given software package by automatically installing the other packages
needed. It is also media-transparent due to its ability to retrieve packages from
various media, including network/Internet, CD/DVD and local disk. Urpmi also has an
easy-to-use graphical front-end called rpmdrake, which is integrated into the Mandriva
Control Center.

Remote sources for urpmi / rpmdrake can be added during the installation of recent
Mandriva Linux versions. After installation, they can be added through an option in the
Software Sources Manager, or by using console commands generated either manually or by
one of several helper sites such as Easy URPMI. This functionality allows the user to
choose some or all of the various software repositories available for their version of
Mandriva Linux and can greatly expand the amount of software that the user can install
through the urpmi system. Instructions on adding repositories and installing software
can be found on the Mandriva Wiki."

[edit]