[clue-tech] Re: check_by_ssh or check_nrpe

David Rudder david at reliableresponse.net
Mon Jun 30 12:45:32 MDT 2008

NRPE is definitely lower overhead for both the nagios server and the
machine being checked. If you have thousands of remote checks, nrpe is
the way to go. Also, I believe nrpe with nsca supports passive checks,
where the machine being checked only reports problems. This further
reduces load and network bandwidth.

For small sites, under 250 checks, I'd go with check_by_ssh. For huge
sites, use nrpe. For sites in between you'll have to make up your mind
based on available network bandwidth, load on machine-being-checked,
availability of SSH keys, etc.

Also, I think nrpe is available for Windows, where SSH daemons for
Windows have always been a little squirrely.

-Dave