[clue-tech] Everex mini PC

Brian Gibson bwg1974 at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 3 15:37:28 MST 2008

Wireless bridge may be the better way to go anyway
since you can swap out G for N when ready.  The
processor may struggle on HD content greater than 720P
though.  I think you need a minimum 2GHz dual core
processor to handle 1080P content.  The lack of
hardware video acceleration is a major stumbling block
for providing a cheap, compact, fanless Linux-based
HTPC right now.

Speaking of HTPCs, has anyone on the list installed
Myth on their PS3 yet?  That would make for a great
topic.  Unlike XBMC, the PS3 has the potential to
playback MPEG4/H264 content.  Sony apparently locks
the user out of directly accessing the video hardware
(so no HW acceleration there as well), but access is
available to all 6 SPUs.  So each cell can be
dedicated to a specific decoding task.  I think the
development group already off-loaded color decoding to
one of the SPUs.  (I believe XBMC is planning on
having MPEG4/H264 support in their Linux port.)

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/MythTV_on_Playstation3
http://youtube.com/watch?v=0C8QN3Hux4g
http://youtube.com/watch?v=7MxFbLVNr2w

--- "Michael J. Hammel" <mjhammel at graphics-muse.org>