[clue-tech] Everex mini PC

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Mon Mar 3 22:26:08 MST 2008

On Mar 3, 2008, at 3:55 PM, marcus hall wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 03, 2008 at 02:34:35PM -0700, Michael J. Hammel wrote:
>> Audio out is kind of limited.  I wonder if Linux supports USB audio
>> hardware?
>
> Definately is supported.  Even as far back as 2.4 kernels.

Yeah, most certainly -- some chipsets (like most USB things) better
than others.  There's been some ham radio operators who have been
hacking open $8 USB audio devices and finding the logic output/input
pins on some of the chipsets for use in controlling radios, etc... an
$8 interface between the PC and a radio, the logic output used to key
the radio's push-to-talk and the logic input used to determine when
the radio is hearing a signal (squelch or "COS" circuit, or similar).

They take these little $8 devices, hack them up for the additional
signals needed, hack up the USB driver so they can get programmatic
access to those pins on the chipset, and then hook it all together via
Asterisk and/or custom C code for handling the VoIP conversions/CODECs
etc.  Pretty cool.

Some have been working on "DSP" software to detect things like DTMF
tones, so-called "sub-audible" tones (used for signaling in many FM 2-
way applications) etc... finding zero-crossings of say a 100 Hz tone
superimposed on an audio signal that's carrying voice is some ugly
heavy-hitter math, when trying to do it in real-time in a user
application under the linux kernel.  Quite difficult, but a neat
programming challenge for those that are "into" such things.  (I don't
think they have a working prototype of that code yet, but anyone who
could pull it off will probably have a job for life in the telco low-
level DSP programming world...)

--
Nate Duehr
nate at natetech.com