[clue-tech] 32 ~and~ 64?

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Wed Mar 12 15:14:14 MDT 2008

On Wed, 12 Mar 2008 12:12:46 -0700
DLWillson at TheGeek.NU ("David L. Willson") wrote:

> Y'know what I'd ~really~ like?  I'd like to run Linux i386 sometimes,
> and Linux AMD64 sometimes.  There are some really important apps
> (games, of course) that I just can't run right in 64-bits...  What is
> the most sharing I can do between the two?

Well, if you run Fedora you can have both i386 and x86_64 libs on your
machine and it will run both.

> I think they could
> share /home partitions, and probably /etc as long as I'm using the
> same version of the same distro...  What else could I share between
> the two?  /var?  /usr?

No idea if you are trying to have 2 seperate oses share... in that case
I would run one in a vm (kvm, xen, vmware, virtualbox, etc). Or dual
boot.

> Is there a memory cap of "slightly less than 4GB" on Linux i386?  Not
> that that'll affect me right off the bat, but it's nice to know
> anyway.

Not really. If you run a i386 PAE kernel you can do up to 64GB.
Per process the limit would be a bit less than 4GB however, so if you
plan large jobs that need to address more than 4GB, you should go with
x86_64.

> David L. Willson

kevin