[clue-tech] 32 ~and~ 64?

dennisjperkins at comcast.net dennisjperkins at comcast.net
Mon Mar 17 08:01:16 MDT 2008

You can do biarch and use both 32-bit and 64-bit libraries.  I think some of the 64-bit distros might support that.  See if you have both /lib and /lib64.  If you do have both, see if one is a link to the other.  If they aren't, you have a biarch setup.

There are some programs that run only in 32-bit mode.   Flash is one.  I think OpenOffice is too, unless you compile it yourself.

My laptop is pure 64-bit.  Swfdec handles some videos, but not all.  I tried building a biarch systemabo0ut 2 years ago, but it was a pain and there were some issues, so I started over as pure 64.  Maybe now it's easier to build biarch.

From: "David L. Willson" <DLWillson at TheGeek.NU>