[clue-tech] Detecting media change

wwcluetech1 at kimballstuff.com wwcluetech1 at kimballstuff.com
Sun May 4 10:40:49 MDT 2008

David L. Anselmi wrote:
> David L. Willson wrote:
> [...]
>> Very nice, Dave.  You pimped Bacula; have you compared it to
>> BackupPC?  That's the only
>> one that sorta tempts me to leave behind my growing pile of steaming
>> script.
> But in short, I'd recommend switching to a better tool than a glowing
> pile of script, whatever it is.  Take the next time you have to extend
> it as the chance to invest in learning something else.
>
> Dave
Since we're all being so introspective, I'd like to toss in my two cents:

I believe language like this response stifles innovation, suppressing
individual creativity and the desire for experimentation.  Always keep
in mind that great tools are made from ideas that get explored and
refined.  The very best tools today are usually iterations of lesser
versions, products that already exist but stood for improvement.  If
someone has the time to explore code, then by all means, please don't
dissuade that effort.  The end result might just be genius.

Yes, backup scripts are a dime-a-dozen.  But what makes one backup
solution better than another?  Something that it does better than the
others, and that is thanks to the authors' interest and time.  Maybe the
best backup solution has already been developed.  I don't know for sure,
but I doubt it.  The solutions today won't be challenged unless other
coders are willing and able to take a shot at making "the next best thing".

This philosophy applies to every software solution on every platform.
Please let the coders code.  This drive has certainly benefited everyone
on this list and will absolutely continue to do so.

Thank for hearing me out,

William