[clue-tech] Detecting media change

Mon May 5 11:24:20 MDT 2008

On Sun, 04 May 2008 10:40:49 -0600, wwcluetech1 wrote
> David L. Anselmi wrote:
> > David L. Willson wrote:
> > [...]
> >> Very nice, Dave.  You pimped Bacula; have you compared it to
> >> BackupPC?  That's the only
> >> one that sorta tempts me to leave behind my growing pile of steaming
> >> script.
> > But in short, I'd recommend switching to a better tool than a glowing
> > pile of script, whatever it is.  Take the next time you have to extend
> > it as the chance to invest in learning something else.
> >
> > Dave
> Since we're all being so introspective, I'd like to toss in my two cents:
>
> I believe language like this response stifles innovation, suppressing
> individual creativity and the desire for experimentation.  Always keep
> in mind that great tools are made from ideas that get explored and
> refined.  The very best tools today are usually iterations of lesser
> versions, products that already exist but stood for improvement.  If
> someone has the time to explore code, then by all means, please don't
> dissuade that effort.  The end result might just be genius.
>
> Yes, backup scripts are a dime-a-dozen.  But what makes one backup
> solution better than another?  Something that it does better than the
> others, and that is thanks to the authors' interest and time.  Maybe the
> best backup solution has already been developed.  I don't know for sure,
> but I doubt it.  The solutions today won't be challenged unless other
> coders are willing and able to take a shot at making "the next best thing".
>
> This philosophy applies to every software solution on every platform.
> Please let the coders code.  This drive has certainly benefited everyone
> on this list and will absolutely continue to do so.
>
> Thank for hearing me out,
>
> William

In the general case, I agree with you, William.  Custom code is a good and beautiful
thing (if and only if it is complete to the point of usability).  In my particular case,
Dave is probably right.  I have learned what I needed and wanted to learn by creating my
own rsync/ssh based backup system.  It's time that I either go the rest of the way, and
make something supportable and re-usable out of it, or back out and use someone else's
re-usable and supported backer-upper instead.

David L. Willson
Trainer/Engineer/Consultant
MCT, MCSE, Linux+
(720) 333-LANS