[clue-tech] /etc/hosts changing on Debian

Angelo Bertolli angelo at freeshell.org
Sat May 10 16:36:19 MDT 2008

Can someone give me a clue as to what might be editing the /etc/hosts
file on Debian?  I suspect the gnome network-admin program, but I'm not
sure.  For some reason, the system keeps adding what it thinks my local
host name should be to the table.  Sometimes it adds the host name with
a bogus IP address from an old connection that wasn't activated.
Sometimes it adds my hostname.RouterSuppliedDomain with the correct IP
address.  This messes up some programs like sudo.

I would like for my hostname to simply maintain the address 127.0.0.1
without resorting to doing something like chattr +i on /etc/hosts

--
Angelo Bertolli
[ Tech http://bitfreedom.com | Gaming http://heroesonly.com ]