[clue-tech] apt-get --download

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Sun May 18 22:34:13 MDT 2008

Jason S. Friedman wrote:
[...]
>> There seems to be a difference between "--download" and
>> "--download-only", as odd as that sounds.  I'll keep experimenting.

Ah, yes of course.  And the man page is clear on that if you pay attention.

Look at the entries in apt-get(8) for --download-only and --no-download.
  The config items are APT::Get::Download-Only and APT::Get::Download,
two different items.  Then --download is just the opposite of
--no-download (see the intro to OPTIONS).

So given the entry for "-d, --download-only", why did you think you
could substitute --download for --download-only?  (Obviously when you
originally posted I didn't look at the man page closely to see what you
were doing wrong.)  If you can't answer that reasonably you won't get
far with a bug report.

> How does one file a bug against apt-get?

See the BUGS section of apt-get(8).  NOTES also lists the bug page, you
should read through some of those to see how they work.  reportbug(1) is
probably the easiest way to do it.

In this case I'm not sure you'll have much luck with a bug unless you
can suggest a clean change that makes the man page more clear (just
adding "don't confuse these two" might not get you there).  But it might
be worth filing anyway.  If a lot of other people have the problem they
can join in (or maybe it's already a bug you can join in).