[clue-tech] SSH / NIS

Patrick H clue at feystorm.net
Wed May 28 16:41:23 MDT 2008

 From the box youre trying to log into, do `getent passwd [USERNAME]`.
That will let you know if the box is able to look up the user. Also
check /var/log files (not sure which ones as it can vary between OSes
and distros) for the login failure notices.

If getent fails, then its something wrong with the NIS setup
(misconfiguration or the user doesnt exist in NIS). If it works then
either the password is bad, or its a misconfiguration on the box. If you
can log into the box locally as the user, but not through ssh, then
likely its /etc/pam.conf. If I recall correctly, that file has different
configuration directives for remote and local logins, but its been a
while since I've messed with it.

Patrick