[clue-tech] Need some generic web-hosting setup recommendations

Adam Bultman adamb at glaven.org
Wed May 28 19:27:03 MDT 2008

A server failure at work has enlightened the powers-that-be to entertain
a reorganization of our web hosting setup.

Currently we use Plesk, which is an all-in-one management setup;
self-contained Web/DB/Email server.  It does not support any type of
redundancy.  I have been charged with finding some kind of replacement
that's both easy on administration, and easy on customers (Plesk had a
pretty user-friendly admin gui, as well as some guis for customers).
I've only ever had custom-built clusters, and now Plesk - so I'm a bit
behind the times.

What I would like most is a Plesk-type software that supports some kind
of redundancy without having to tweak things a whole lot, since I would
be the only person with hardware-level access to the servers.  There'd
be another person to help maintain apache, email, and all that.
However, I don't know (or think) that something like it exists.

If you web hosting, please, let me know what you use - and what you see
as the pros and cons.  I've got a decent amount of hardware (Foundry
SI4G load balancer, Netapp 3020, HP P-class blade system) and a mind for
virtualization - but it's not in the company's best interest or mine to
set up something that's a nightmare to manage.  I've got some 800
domains to go on these boxes - so I have to "think in bulk".

Thanks in advance,

Adam