[clue-tech] Installing new router, getting printer to work

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Sun Nov 2 09:10:33 MST 2008

Adrian F. Nagle, IV wrote:
> I'm installing a new router and as a result, I need to update my
> printer's IP address. The printer does not work.
>
> I have:
> 192.168.0.1 - DSL Modem/router
> 192.168.0.4 - linux server with CUPS
> 192.168.24.1 - new router (used to be a Linksys switch)
> 192.168.24.100 - normally the DHCP address for my wireless laptop

I'm guessing you have 2 LAN segments, right?  That is, the linux server
plugs into the DSL modem and the new router plugs in there too (probably
using a "WAN" or "Internet" port on the new router.

> I've set my printer to a static address of 192.168.6 (used to be
> 192.168.0.6).  The netmask for new router and printer is
> 255.255.255.0.

You mean 192.168.24.6, right?  And the printer plugs into the new router.

> I go to CUPS and updated the new IP address and hopefully selected
> the correct driver.  I try to print a test page from CUPS, and
> nothing happens.  From my laptop (192.168.24.100) I can successfully
> ping everything including the printer.  However, from my server
> 192.168.0.4, I can't ping the new router and printer and laptop.  I
> can successfully access the internet.

It sounds like the problem is that the new modem is doing NAT between
the .24.0 network and the .0.0 network.  So you have to put rules in it
that say for a particular type of traffic (TCP or UDP port number) to
send it to a particular IP.

If that doesn't help, draw us a picture of the physical connections
between devices.