[clue-tech] if it's not too far out of scope... audacity

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Mon Nov 3 13:56:02 MST 2008

Bob Meetin wrote:
> for installfest,  I downloaded audacity software source code for Linux.
> I could use some help in getting it installed.

Just curious Bob -- I won't be at Installfest, but what Linux
distribution are you using?  Most have Audacity available as a pre-made
binary package, no need to build it from source code.

All you have to do is type the correct commands for the package manager
(or click on the graphical interface for the package manager, if your
distro has such things... I'm not very "graphical", so someone else
would have to help with that one), and the package will install and be
available in the menus, etc... if the package maintainer did their job
correctly.

Since package types and package managers aren't standardized other than
in a broad sense (RedHat "based" distros use RPM/yum typically,
Debian-based distros use dpkg/apt/aptitude generally)... we would need
to know what distro you are running to help you with the specific
commands to install the ready-made Audacity package for that particular
operating system environment.

As far as Audacity goes, it's good stuff.  I use it regularly on Windows
and Mac, and also on Linux when I bother to boot the Linux desktop.

Nate