[clue-tech] Mephis linux

Jed S. Baer cluemail at jbaer.cotse.net
Fri Nov 14 16:07:57 MST 2008

On Fri, 14 Nov 2008 15:19:39 -0700
Yuko Jonah wrote:

> I want to know if there is any difference b/w mephissimply and the gold
> or silver version that one has to pay for. I would like to support the
> development of linux as a newbie or someone who is interested in the
> development of the software, but at this time of economy hardship i
> thought linux was suppose to be free. can someone shed some light on
> this.

I can't speak specifically to Mepis, but Linux is free. End of story.
However, companies can charge for support, reasonable costs for
reproduction if they're providing CDs, and "premium" access to their
sooper special websites or ftp sites or whatever they want to try to sell
in terms of services.

If you want to support Linux, donate money to the Free Software
Foundation, or directly to a developer, or find some other way. And if
you want to pay for support or other services, that's your choice as well.

jed