[clue-tech] Mephis linux

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Wed Nov 19 05:35:48 MST 2008

On Nov 18, 2008, at 11:01 PM, David L. Willson wrote:

>> This is an exciting time to be in the software industry.  Things
>> are changing, and changing for the better.
>
> Could you elaborate on why you believe this, David?

Heh... should I respond?  I guess I will...

> DHTML (HTML/CSS/JavaScript) works way better than it ever has.

With a decade of frameworks and browser wars, you can finally get a
graphical interface that rivals a good Borland Turbo Pascal Client/
Server app from 1995.

> Linux is easier to use and more flexible than it ever has been.

Desktops, no way.  If it were true, it'd have better than 1% of the
user base.

Servers, AIX and HP-UX are just as easy and "flexible", and Solaris
isn't too far behind.

> Zimbra, OpenFiler, and Untangle are beautiful and apparently
> viable.  Lots of other non-suck large FLOSS projects are out and
> coming out all the time.

Three applications that mimic 10 year old software are finally
viable?  Wow.  You could have been doing Zimbra's work with Outlook/
Exchange, OpenFiler's job with a NetApp on nicer custom tuned
hardware, and Untangle for free with SonicWall all this time so you
could focus on new development and technologies instead.

> There are three big, committed Linux shops.

... that mainly cater to server operators and farms, something Linux
has always been good at, but so have Solaris, HP-UX, and AIX, none of
which have been dropped by those companies who also support Linux now,
but didn't see compelling reasons to stop making their own OS's.
RedHat still continues on with proprietary tools only available to
paid customers too...

> Normal people are choosing Free software, and beginning to
> understand what that means.

I'll have to take your word for it on that one.  No one I know starts
any conversations about free software with me, nor do they care.  They
start the conversation with "I want to do X.  What's the best software
out there to do that?"

--
Nate Duehr
nate at natetech.com