[clue-tech] how much room?

Roy J. Tellason rtellason at verizon.net
Thu Nov 20 13:33:06 MST 2008

On Thursday 20 November 2008 03:09:01 pm Nate Duehr wrote:
> Roy J. Tellason wrote:
> > However I've had the occasional idle thought that it might be good for me
> > to have XP on some box somewhere,  just to be able to refer to it or
> > maybe run an app that wouldn't run any other way or whatever the case may
> > be.  So I decided to leave it on this box,  though with way less space
> > than the whole drive it was using to begin with.
>
> In this case, when I was gung-ho about having Linux be "primary" and
> Windows as an add-on that was rarely used (also how I handle this on OSX
> machines), I like using Virtualization and a disk "file" instead of
> giving Windows its own partition.

That's something that I haven't played with at all yet.  How much of a machine
does that need to work well?  This is only like a 1 GHz or so machine...

> That way the "image" can be made bigger if needed, by whatever mechanism
> the virtualization tool uses -- that is either easy or hard depending on
> whether or not you have to reinstall Windows on a new image, etc... but
> basically the "Windows disk" just takes up filesystem space on the
> "host" OS instead of having to mess with partitioning if you use
> Virtualization and don't mind the performance hit.

Sounds good,  but how much of a performance hit is the big question I guess.

> If you really want to run Windows "natively" then you have to go with
> the partitition.  I've gotten away (easily) with partitions about 6 GB
> big for XP with all service packs, patches, and applications I wanted...

I'm at 3G now and don't plan on installing any other stuff if I can help it...

> but very little room left for big data like an ISO image, etc...

No reason I'd need that under windoze.

> if you only deal with "normal" sized files in Windows, it would work... if
> you need space for video or other large files, just take that into account
> when you pick your final size.

I can't really see me needing to stick any large files in there.  I just need
to figure out what else I can clean up in there so I can make it smaller yet.

I don't use that company's product at all,  and don't even know what the
minimum recommended system requirements are these days.

-
M Dakin