[clue-tech] how much room?

Peter Kuykendall peterkuykendall at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 20 15:47:22 MST 2008

I'm writing this on MS OE in an XP VM under an Ubuntu host.  It's all
running on a middlin' Dell laptop with 1 GB RAM and a 1.6 Ghz CPU which
spends most of its time at 800 Mhz.

I was driven to this solution due to MS' most recent breakage of their
Hotmail web interface with non-MS browsers.  I've been using various kluges
under Ubuntu for some years now (currently stable hotsmtp and hotpop, buggy
Thunderbird webmail), but there's a lot of dark talk about MS scheming to
break those in the near future.  So I threw in the towel and started running
the XP VM with OE.  It actually works perfectly.  I had forgotten how well
it works during the last 3-4 years of Linux-only operation.

I have a valid XP license because Dell forced me to buy it if I wanted to
buy this machine (exactly a year ago; I hear that they are a little more
sane now).  As soon as I bought the machine I archived the hard drive and
then blew it away and installed Ubuntu.  I then went to piratebay.org and
downloaded a torrent file which points to a VERY lean XP VM.  That's a good
solution because some other poor schmuck already did the hard work of
stripping down XP. :)

I also occasionaly have need to use Visio, and there's no fully compatible
Linux solution for that yet, so the XP VM gets used occasionally for that as
well.

I have it configured to use 256 MB of RAM.  Both the Ubuntu host and the VM
seem happy with this arraingement.

- Pete