[clue-tech] "rewindable" drive?

Collins Richey crichey at gmail.com
Fri Nov 21 18:27:11 MST 2008

On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 2:02 PM, Nate Duehr <nate at natetech.com> wrote:

> A hardware or software "snapshot" solution would work, but there's added
> complexity if there's a DB involved.  (You have to quiet the DB before the
> snapshot... some DB's have commands to do this -- Oracle, etc -- some
> don't)...

I can't comment about the other hardware or software solutions, but
the Storagetek/Sun solution I described is an instantaneous
snapshot.Every block of the chosen file/filesystem is marked as part
of the snapshot without any intervening I/o, so even databases can be
rolled back to their instantaneous and valid state.

--
Collins Richey