[clue-tech] "rewindable" drive?

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Sun Nov 23 23:30:14 MST 2008

The problem is that he wants the equivalent of a snapshot every time a
single block is written.  Snapshots work great, but triggering them
every minute is a huge loss in system processing power as the
filesystem/dataset gets larger.

While as he says "someone will do it" and maybe even has, things like
RAID 1 can handle disk redundancy, and much slower frequency snapshots
can handle most reasonable needs to "roll back".

Getting down to atomic roll backs of garbage data going into an entire
filesystem (meaning garbage data out in true GIGO form right onto a
filesystem by a poorly designed application -- compared with a
database and a well-designed app that clearly separates the UI from
the data being collected and acted upon, which is a different story)
means something is severely wrong with the input application's ability
to confirm the accuracy of the input data from users or that there is
deliberate tampering or severe stupidity at play, both of which are
human issues better "fixed" by policy not by the technology.

"Dear User/Employee: Cause enough damage to our work, get fired...
Because we KNOW it will mean we have to drop back to an hour/day/week
old snapshot.  We're not willing to spend the kind of money/time
necessary to protect you down to the individual transaction because we
think adults can handle data entry without doing it in a way that will
damage the system.  Here's a tested procedure that works.  Use it or
you'll become personally and intimately familiar with Colorado's
unemployment insurance process."

Policy like the above should be far  easier and cheaper than trying to
do atomic change protection of an entire filesystem and every data
write.

I've seen one billing system that had to do a COW on every write, but
the copy was not meant as a real-time recovery tool.

It was just a legal record of "what happened" and was stored on a
write-only filesystem only readable by the auditors.  No deletes were
allowed and none of that data was ever copied back to the "sending"
system(s).

The application that did the COW was completely proprietary and custom
and the source had been audited by an outside 3rd party for accuracy.
(It handled billing records in near real-time between major telco
carriers and this was saving all parties so much money, they could all
easily afford to pay for such a customized system and the auditing.)

--
Nate Duehr
Sent from my iPhone