[clue-tech] mail problem

Thu Oct 2 12:05:14 MDT 2008

Bob,

This is the sort of thing I t-shoot every day, or other day, maybe.  You want to take
two steps, I think.

 - 1. Make darn sure that the "from" address on the email notifications is a valid one.
 It should be monitored, and working well already, so that if any helpful NDRs are
getting generated along the way, they have a good place to go and some chance of getting
there.

 - 2. When you do that last test, the telnet to SMTP and drop off a message, make sure
you are using the same address for your RCPT TO command that the email notifications
that are failing are trying to use.  In this case, you used your own email address.
Unless that is actually the address that's failing, you've invalidated your test and
gotten a misleading error message.

 - 3. In the case that you need to send those email notifications to a bunch of
different domains, you`ll have to have your webserver added to the SMTP server's list of
allowed relay hosts.

--David

On Wed, 01 Oct 2008 07:36:53 -0600, Bob Meetin wrote