[clue-tech] Android?

Sean LeBlanc seanleblanc at comcast.net
Sun Oct 5 15:32:22 MDT 2008

On 09-25 00:05, Mike Staver wrote:
> I'd be interested in hearing about it.  I've been drooling over an
> iphone since they were released, and if Google can do something equally
> as good that happens to be open, I'm all over it.  All of the rejected
> apps by Apple so far have been what's turned me off to the idea of
> owning one.  Even if you jailbreak it, it seems difficult to have to
> keep up with updates and stuff for a device that should be worry free in
> my opinion.  I'd rather just support something that's open in the first
> place...

That's pretty much my thoughts on it. It appears this first offering fails
in a few ways, but I'll still adopt a wait-and-see attitude. The stack
itself seems quite capable of fulfilling a phone that users actually own -
instead of operators - for a change.

The fact that they didn't take the same stupid and arrogant position Apple
took with Java is another plus. For Jobs to take such a snarky attitude
toward Java...well, let's just say it shows a lot of insight into his
character.

I'm surprised that the initial offering had the nonstandard headphone jack.
Are there any legitimate technical reasons for doing this? Because I think
iPhone did the same thing?

When it comes to iPhone, they aren't even in the running in my book unless
they create, or allow to be created, an external keyboard, Bluetooth or
otherwise. What good is a full-blown browser on the phone for the first
time, if you don't have the ability to attach a keyboard to it and really
type things into the browser fast? Just because Jobs thinks touchscreen is
neat doesn't mean he knows better than the users. And officially supporting
Java would be nice, too.

Sean LeBlanc:seanleblanc at comcast.net
http://sean-leblanc.blogspot.com
Too much of everything is just enough.