[clue-tech] DSL modem issue?

Todd A. Gibson tgibson at augustcouncil.com
Mon Oct 13 19:38:26 MDT 2008

> Do DSL modems typically have issues?  I've moved residences in the
> mean time, so I think it's the modem, and not necessarily the
> service.

First the conclusions, then some additional details:
1) My Cisco 678 worked well for a couple years, then started having
problems ultimately attributed to hardware failure.  Conclusion: never
rule out hardware as the cause of DSL modem problems.

2) I know of two Zoom X5 DSL modems which have had problems similar to
yours, even when firmware updated.  Conclusion: I don't trust Zoom
DSL modem products.

3) On a service call to resolve problem, the Qwest tech gave me one of
their 2-Wire DSL modems for free.  Problems gone, all works well.
Conclusion: Try to get Qwest to give you a 2-wire modem.

The issue you describe is exactly the same as my brother's.  Before
finally selling his soul to Comcast, he had a script which
automatically rebooted the modem whenever it lost connectivity.  It
was a Zoom X5.  Off and on, my own X5 would behave as if the line were
noisy.  It would suffer from poor speed, and sometimes disconnect.
The problem was present before and after a firmware update.
Based on our experiences I would be leary of Zoom DSL products.

I had bought the Zoom to replace my Cisco 678 which I had obtained
from Qwest back when I originally got DSL.  It eventually developed
hardware problems which included melting down if I tried to change
any of the settings (e.g., setting up a filter).

I had the Qwest folks come out and try to isolate (my incorrectly
diagnosed) line noise when I had the X5.  The tech gave me the 2-wire
DSL modem and indicated that in his experience changing modems often
times resolved connectivity problems.  Sure enough, that did the
trick.  Since your sensitive to cost, see if you can get Qwest
to give you one of theirs.
-TAG