[clue-tech] Strange hardware thought

Chris Hirsch chris at base2technology.com
Thu Sep 4 11:36:05 MDT 2008

Chris Ernst wrote:
> Why not just use an IP KVM?
>
> http://www.avocent.com/products/default.aspx?id=6698
>
> Then you have direct console access to multiple machines in one
> interface and you can connect from anywhere.
>
> 	- Chris
>
> David L. Willson wrote:
>
>> Wouldn't it be cool if there were a kind of KVM dongle for connecting the VGA and PS/2
>> ports of a server to the USB port of a laptop, to display it's screen on the laptop
>> screen and use the keyboard & mouse of the laptop to interact with it?  Then you
>> wouldn't need a whole crash-cart, just that "crash-cable".

Is there a field unit that will do IP KVM? Several years ago I found a
unit for around $300 that would do exactly as David wanted. Basically
the ability to plug in the cables from a computer into a box and then
you plug that box into your laptop and viola you can see the screen.

For me what I really want is the ability to use use my laptop as a the
video kb and mouse (just like David said). Basically a VGA frame grabber
is what we're after. http://www.epiphan.com

The next trick of course...does it work with Linux? :-)