[clue-tech] Strange hardware thought

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Thu Sep 4 13:45:42 MDT 2008

Chris Hirsch wrote:
> Chris Ernst wrote:
>> Why not just use an IP KVM?
>>
>> http://www.avocent.com/products/default.aspx?id=6698
>>
>> Then you have direct console access to multiple machines in one
>> interface and you can connect from anywhere.
>>
>> 	- Chris

I've been saying for many years now that the Panasonic ToughBook or
similar "high end" line of "tech support/field-engineering" types of
laptops should just build a hardware switch into them (and appropriate
hardware plugs, dongles, whatever they had to do), to allow plugging a
LAPTOP in as a self-powered monitor and keyboard for doing maintenance
on-site.

But no manufacturer seems to have "thought up" the idea yet.  No one has
real DB-9 serial ports (hardly) anymore, and no one certainly has the
"switch this switch to use the internal LCD and keyboard on ANOTHER
computer" feature.

Such a laptop "targeted" at tech support weenies, would certainly sell,
if the ToughBooks do.  (And they do... have a friend who's company
outfitted every field person with a ToughBook and a RAM mount for their
vehicles, along with EVDO wireless IP connectivity.)

A real business need, being ignored.

When IBM wasn't Lenovo, they'd might be the kind of company to try
something like that too, but Lenovo is a boring thoughtless PC maker,
and will never go out on that limb.

Nate