[clue-tech] Strange hardware thought

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Thu Sep 4 18:52:51 MDT 2008

Nate Duehr wrote:
> I've been saying for many years now that the Panasonic ToughBook or
> similar "high end" line of "tech support/field-engineering" types of
> laptops should just build a hardware switch into them (and appropriate
> hardware plugs, dongles, whatever they had to do), to allow plugging a
> LAPTOP in as a self-powered monitor and keyboard for doing maintenance
> on-site.

So maybe there's a market for that.  Until you want to take a screen
shot and email it somewhere.  Then you wish you had a window showing
your server console.  I'd be perfectly happy with a window display vs
the added cost of hardware.

I suppose IP KVMs are sort of wire in place, not a 1 port thing you
carry around.  But I'd rather have IP than USB.  Wait!  How about bluetooth?