[clue-tech] What do I need for a server?

Diane Williams willydlw at comcast.net
Fri Sep 5 09:05:29 MDT 2008

For a computer science class I need to design a website. This will be a
semester long project. We have an idea for our website but we need to figure
out the tools we need for design and the actual hardware. About the
hardware: I am planning to purchase a desktop computer. I will buy something
with an nvidia graphics card because I have to run some graphics and
animation applications for another class.

I do not know exactly all the hardware I need to create a server. The idea
is that the server host the website and that I am able to then access with
my laptop as a client. When finished, anyone should be able to access the
website via the internet. What I am wondering is whether I can buy say an HP
desktop or some other brand and set up the desktop to boot under Windows or
Kubuntu? Of course, the new machines come with uck, Vista, and I do need
Windows for some other software I use for school. We are planning to use the
Kubuntu as the network server.

Do I need any special network cards, wireless?  What hardware will I need?
We would also like to have our code on the server, so that team members can
use subversion to check it in and out. We'll also have to research what
software we need to create a website. Will probably need to use some Web 2.0
technology.

Also I will have 3 other classes where I will need to develop and host my
own website in the coming semesters.

Thanks for your advice.  Please send any questions also. As you can tell, we
are all ignorant of web design. This is for a software engineering class and
web design is taught no where in our curriculum. We have to learn quickly
and on the fly.

Diane