[clue-tech] What do I need for a server?

Collins Richey crichey at gmail.com
Fri Sep 5 11:22:06 MDT 2008

I'll reiterate what others have said; they're on the right track.

1. Any reasonably current PC will meet your needs. You do not need
special hardware. Most new PCs come with 3-4Gig RAM to work with Vista
(I see your ugh and double it!) and a fairly large harddrive.

2. Linux with the LAMP stack is a great idea. PHP is designed for web
coding, and it's quite easy to learn.

3. If you really need to retain Windows, you can still buy a copy of
XP, and that runs OK under Vmware. Dual boot is not a great idea,
since you need to keep the website running. An even better idea would
be to acquire a laptop (or second system) and keep your windows stuff
separate.

4. By all means come to the installfest so that we can help you
formulate a plan.

--
Collins Richey