[clue-tech] upstart

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Mon Sep 8 15:28:39 MDT 2008

On Mon, 08 Sep 2008 15:00:08 -0600
mjhammel at graphics-muse.org ("Michael J. Hammel") wrote:

> On Mon, 2008-09-08 at 18:50 +0000, dennisjperkins at comcast.net wrote:
> > Has anyone investigated upstart?  It is Ubuntu's replacement for
> > sysvinit and is event based.  Fedora and Frugalware using it too.
> > Ubuntu and Fedora are still using it in SysV-compatible mode for
> > now, so it will be interesting to see how it performs in full
> > native mode.

Yeah, it will be. Although they have discovered some fundamental
problems with the way it was designed and will be re-writing a bunch of
it in the coming months. ;)

> I noticed this when I upgraded to F9.  I'm trying to figure out why
> they changed what wasn't broken.

SysVinit isn't maintained anymore. It has no upstream aside from
RedHat/Fedora, and no one there wanted to keep patching it with more
and more band-aids. ;)

kevin