[clue-tech] upstart

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Mon Sep 8 15:43:17 MDT 2008

Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> On Mon, 08 Sep 2008 15:00:08 -0600
> mjhammel at graphics-muse.org ("Michael J. Hammel") wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 2008-09-08 at 18:50 +0000, dennisjperkins at comcast.net wrote:
>>> Has anyone investigated upstart?  It is Ubuntu's replacement for
>>> sysvinit and is event based.  Fedora and Frugalware using it too.
>>> Ubuntu and Fedora are still using it in SysV-compatible mode for
>>> now, so it will be interesting to see how it performs in full
>>> native mode.
>
> Yeah, it will be. Although they have discovered some fundamental
> problems with the way it was designed and will be re-writing a bunch of
> it in the coming months. ;)
>
>> I noticed this when I upgraded to F9.  I'm trying to figure out why
>> they changed what wasn't broken.
>
> SysVinit isn't maintained anymore. It has no upstream aside from
> RedHat/Fedora, and no one there wanted to keep patching it with more
> and more band-aids. ;)

One could argue either side here... Sun replaced their startup in Sol 10
also, looking for "better ways" to do startup too.

Linux is just mimicking that, in my opinion.  Me too, me too!

Whether or not either fancy new startup system really solves as many
problems as they create, is yet to be seen.

We're stuck with both now, so it'll be fun to watch.

There were certainly higher priority things for Linux to work on, that
got ignored, though.   That's also fairly typical.

"Let's rework the startup system."

"But no one's having any problems starting things up... the problems our
customer have are x, y and z."

"Yeah, but this is more fun to fix than those!"  (Or insert whatever
other excuse here.)

Nate