[clue-tech] upstart

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Mon Sep 8 20:57:27 MDT 2008

On Mon, 08 Sep 2008 20:20:38 -0600
mjhammel at graphics-muse.org ("Michael J. Hammel") wrote:

> On Mon, 2008-09-08 at 19:34 -0600, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> > You can't force volunteers to work on things you think are more
> > important.
>
> Sorry Kevin, but this has become a lame excuse.  Being a volunteer
> doesn't absolve anyone from responsibility.  The guys making this
> change are responsible to the users and there are some users who
> think this is being done for no good reason.  At a minimum they
> should provide a mechanism for leaving it as it was and schedule a
> long-term deprecation if necessary.  I don't expect Ubuntu to do
> that.  Fedora should know better.

"long-term deprecation if necessary"? Like SysVinit having no upstream
updates since 2004? Is 4 years long enough? (That would make it 8
Fedora releases).

What practical difference do you see between SysVinit and upstart in
sysvinit mode? Some different files to edit?

I'm all ears on how to force people to work on things you want them
to... I realize you can ignore/not use something if you don't think
it's good, but you can't force them to work on something else you value
more.

> Volunteering doesn't mean you get to do whatever you want.  If it did,
> everyone would play with the puppies and no one would clean up the
> poop at the animal shelter.  Volunteering can require you to work on
> things you don't necessarily enjoy.  I think many open source
> developers forget that because they live by the "scratch their own
> itch" mantra.  That's okay with me, but they shouldn't be trying to
> pawn their scratches off on the general public in that case.  "World
> Domination" is joke if all you have are back scratchers.  Someone's
> gotta pick up the poop, too.

It depends. Some people are willing to pick up the slack and work on
the dirty jobs. Some people are willing to do some dirty with some fun.
Some people only work on things they find fun. It's not black and
white.

That said, I agree in some cases new stuff that provides no advantages
or is not mature enough gets shipped. It happens. I really can't see
why anyone would argue thats the case with SysVinit/upstart however.

kevin