[clue-tech] upstart

Michael J. Hammel mjhammel at graphics-muse.org
Mon Sep 8 20:20:38 MDT 2008

On Mon, 2008-09-08 at 19:34 -0600, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> You can't force volunteers to work on things you think are more
> important.

Sorry Kevin, but this has become a lame excuse.  Being a volunteer
doesn't absolve anyone from responsibility.  The guys making this change
are responsible to the users and there are some users who think this is
being done for no good reason.  At a minimum they should provide a
mechanism for leaving it as it was and schedule a long-term deprecation
if necessary.  I don't expect Ubuntu to do that.  Fedora should know
better.

Volunteering doesn't mean you get to do whatever you want.  If it did,
everyone would play with the puppies and no one would clean up the poop
at the animal shelter.  Volunteering can require you to work on things
you don't necessarily enjoy.  I think many open source developers forget
that because they live by the "scratch their own itch" mantra.  That's
okay with me, but they shouldn't be trying to pawn their scratches off
on the general public in that case.  "World Domination" is joke if all
you have are back scratchers.  Someone's gotta pick up the poop, too.

--
Michael J. Hammel
mjhammel at graphics-muse.org / http://www.graphics-muse.org