[clue-tech] upstart

Nate Duehr nate at natetech.com
Mon Sep 8 21:48:46 MDT 2008

Michael J. Hammel wrote:

> Volunteering doesn't mean you get to do whatever you want.  If it did,
> everyone would play with the puppies and no one would clean up the poop
> at the animal shelter.

What a great way to put it!  LOL!

I been "picking up the poop" of developers playing with puppies now for
going on something like 15 years.  I get paid to pick up the poop.  So
ultimately I rely on bad development in order to have a job.
Interesting Catch-22, since I have always wanted computing to get
easier/better for everyone.

The developers also breed the puppies (new versions) and when that
happens before the pooper-scoopers can be hired to handle the new poop,
  I get pooper-scooper duty on weekends, nights, etc... Overtime!  Whoo
hoo!

Hahaha...

I just dream of a day when they'll stop playing with the puppies and
scoop.  I also dread it, because if they can teach the software to scoop
its own poop, I'm out of a job.

The best software engineers do work on making poopless dogs, the others
run off to the next batch of puppies (new projects) as the dog grows up
and the poop gets bigger and more plentiful.

Nate