[clue-tech] upstart

Jed S. Baer cluemail at jbaer.cotse.net
Tue Sep 9 06:57:38 MDT 2008

On Mon, 08 Sep 2008 22:57:57 -0600
Dennis J Perkins wrote:

> > But -- at least AFAICT -- they left out the option most likely to be
> > preferred by old-hat users, i.e. just mount it.
> >

> It would probably be a pain to find out how to disable it.  It was a
> pain to find out how to enable it.

Well, back when I dinked around an discovered where/how to change "media"
to "mnt", I marvelled at the complexity of the config files. I don't
remember if it was HAL or udev -- I think udev. But the move away from
things like rc files that were pretty easy to read/understand is
something that bothers me. Not sure how I'd do it differently, but the
old Unix norm of using a text editor to tweak your configs is being
slowly abandoned -- at least in some cases. Sure, you can edit XML in vi,
but figuring it out by reading it?

jed