[clue-tech] upstart

Angelo Bertolli angelo at freeshell.org
Tue Sep 9 09:12:20 MDT 2008

Nate Duehr wrote:
> I still don't get why the startup program NEEDS to handle dependencies.
>
> Any well written app can :
>
> a) Look for the other things running that need to run before it does.
> b) Whine and bitch that they're not, if they're not, and go to sleep
> for a little while, and GOTO A later on.
>
> Why does the OS startup program need to be a traffic cop in this
> regard at all??  We already took this further and inittab will keep
> respawning anything that dies... isn't that enough building blocks to
> make it all work?

Yeah I'm sure it's all that's needed, but it's not all that's wanted:
they want users to have as quick a boot time as possible, esp
considering other OS's will try to quicken their boot time as well.  The
way it works, the commands are ordered anyway.  If you just wait for the
previous one to finish, there wouldn't be any problems... just takes longer.

At least MY linux system does more and boots faster now ;)

Angelo