[clue-tech] fonts

Jed S. Baer cluemail at jbaer.cotse.net
Sun Sep 14 19:32:45 MDT 2008

On Sun, 14 Sep 2008 18:08:06 -0600
Bob Meetin wrote:

> David L. Anselmi wrote:
> > Bob Meetin wrote:
> >> So fie so good.  Doing the google on uninstall fonts ubuntu linux is
> >> more challenging result-wise.  Why uninstall?  There is a very long
> >> list of fonts I will never use and just cloud my mind.  Right way
> >> suggestion please?
> >
> > aptitude purge <font packages>
> >
> > Dave

> you sure that's not reversed, "purge aptitide", which would make sense
> in windows.

Well, Bob, fortunately for most of us, we're running Linux. ;)

> so next questionable question.  how do i determine the package name to
> remove?  if i cruise /usr/share/fonts/ there are 3 folders with
> additional subcontents:

 [snippage]

> Then there is also 'xlsfonts | more' which gives another list and of
> course if I open gimp or inkscape the names are once again changed to
> protect the innocent.
>
> The short answer???

Well, one short answer is that there likely isn't a 'purge' command on
your system. For example, on mine:

jbaer at robinson:~/public_html$ help purge
bash: help: no help topics match `purge'.  Try `help help' or `man -k
purge' or `info purge'. jbaer at robinson:~/public_html$ man purge
No manual entry for purge
jbaer at robinson:~/public_html$ which purge
jbaer at robinson:~/public_html$

[no output from the 'which' command means nothing in my execution path
matches 'purge']

You might try 'aptitude --help', which would explain, briefly, what the
aptitude command works. Or 'man aptitude', or try the author's user guide:
http://algebraicthunk.net/~dburrows/projects/aptitude/doc/en/

But, what you're looking for are package files which contain font files.
For that, you'll need to learn how to use one (or more, if you're so
inclined) of the debian package management tools. I couldn't say for
sure, but I think, for GUI use anyway (that'd be the Windoze way), Adept
is what you get by default.

jed